see post: First Time Smoker
1 TBSP allspice
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP onion powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (or kosher)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp thyme
1 16 oz pork tenderloin
Remaining Sweet Rub
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1 TBSP honey
* The night before: combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Massage the tenderloin with a thin film of oil followed by a couple of TBSPs of the rub to cover it. Tie the tenderloin with kitchen twine to keep the shape of the meat. Wrap the meat in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
(I used a 'Maple' pre-marinated tenderloin and only marinated with rub for 2 hours instead of overnight)
* Prepare your smoker for barbequing, bringing the temp to 200-220 F.
* Remove the tenderloins from the fridge and let them sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
* Prepare the mop: stir together the remaining rub with the other mop ingredients in a small saucepan and warm over low heat.
* Warm a heavy skillet over high heat. Quickly sear the tenderloin on all sides - including the flat ends. Transfer the meat to the smoker. Cook for 2.5 - 3.25 hours, turning the meat and basting it with the mop about once every 30 minutes.
* Brush the tenderloin with some of the Jalapeach BBQ sauce during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
* Tenderloin is done when internal temp is 160F. Let the meat sit for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
Jalapeach BBQ Sauce16 oz can peaches in heavy syrup, undrained
makes about 2 cups
makes about 2 cups
1/4 cup minced onion
3 TBSP pickled jalapenos
2 tsp liquid from jalapeno jar
2 TBSP peach chutney, or chopped mango
2 tsp packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
* Mix the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to ow and cook until onions are tender and sauce thickens - at least 25 minutes.
* Use the sauce warm or chilled. It keeps well in the fridge for a few weeks.
* Suggested leftover uses: spread sauce on bacon half-way through cooking for a nice glazed bacon.