Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fresh Blueberries!



For all of you localvores out there - I'm sorry. I couldn't help it - blueberries are here and are not $10 per pint! I was excited to see them at my favorite Lund's grocery and bought a few pints. So, not only did I make some scones to bring into work, I also brought in a few just to snack on. They really were perfect too - not tart, but sweet and almost crisp to the bite.

Enjoy! These are so fast to whip up - and very quick to bake - all in about 30 minutes to fresh warm treats!

note: I used leftover whipped cream for my heavy cream - and reduced the sugar to 1 tbsp. I added a little whole milk to the whipped cream and stirred until almost liquid - it seemed to work. tasted great!

Lemon Blueberry Scones
2 cups (10 oz) unbleached all-purp flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 Tbsp cold unsalted butter (1/4" cubes)
1 tsp (or more) grated lemon peel
6 oz (small container) blueberries
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 425 
place flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in bowl of food processer with metal blade. Process a few times (or whisk). Add butter and lemon peel and process until butter is broken up (about 12 1 second pulses). Transfer mixture to another bowl and gently stir in blueberries. Stir in heavy cream with a rubber spatula until the dough comes together in a rough ball. 

Turn out onto large piece of parchment and knead until it comes together a bit more (sticky/rough ball). Shape into circle or rectangle (see top photo) and cut into wedges. Transfer wedges to parchment lined cookie sheet. Can refridgerate up to 2 hours if dough is too sticky.

Brush tops with heavy cream. Bake until scone tops are light brown 12-15 minutes.

Serve warm.

If you are storing overnight to bring to work - do not store in airtight container. The scones are still releasing heat and moisture - and all will turn mushy if you seal it tight overnight. They are OK left on the countertop or in the container without sealing.

3 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I love these - I need to haul myself over to Byerly's and snap up these berries. Anything to cheer up these dreary days we're having.

Anonymous said...

those look great!! Blueberries were buy 1 get 2 free last week (I know!!), and this looks like a great way to use some of them up.

Maggie said...

Great looking scones! Usually the blueberry ones you see are really skimpy with the bluberries.