Monday, November 23, 2009
After an early dinner, I sometimes get the urge to just keep on eating. As I love food - it's not too surprising. However, I also like to fit into my clothes and not blow up like a whale - so I try to keep it under control. So - I've been resorting to popcorn at night. It's the PERFECT evening snack, easy to share or not and extremely easy to snazz it up with some "GOURMET" style flavors. *** Perfect for after holiday meals when the family is just hanging out - and you don't want leftovers!***
First: go for the gold and make the popcorn on the stovetop. Microwaves don't cut it here. It's easy and cheap - and makes your kitchen smell like a high school basketball game (in a good way.)
1. Heat a large, heavy bottom pot (with a lid) on the stove on high (just for 30 seconds or so)
2. Add about 2 TBSP vegetable oil to the pot - and let heat up until glistening (about 30 seconds)
3. Add 1/2 cup popping corn, cover with lid and shake around to ensure kernals are coated with oil.
4. Prop the lid so that the steam can escape - and let it start popping (start on high heat)
5. Shake occasionally - to keep from burning. When the popping gets intense, reduce heat to medium.
6. When popping slows or stops, pull from heat. Leave pot alone for a minute to let any last kernals do their thing.
7. Add butter and toppings of choice.
* Sugared: after buttering, sprinkle 1-2 TBSP white sugar, and sprinkle with salt
* Truffled: add 1 tsp truffle oil and 3 TBSP parmesan to melted butter, stir to ensure all melted together, pour over popcorn. Grate extra parm over buttered popcorn. Watch the salt on this - parm can be salty.
* Popcorn flavors: White Cheddar, Ranch, Nacho Cheese - all tasty choices on their own, not so great mixed together.
What are your favorite popcorn toppings?