Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy 84th Birthday Grandpa! (Lemon Curd Cake)

Oh, how I love Rose. Author of the great Cake Bible and sharing a name with my grandmother. These two women have had more influence on me through their baking passion and expertise than either will ever know.

I was given the opportunity to bake a cake for my husband's grandfather whom we call "Captain" (retired Navy Captain.) This cake had to be special - and a lemon cake was requested.

So - I dug into the Cake Bible for inspiration. From the index - I found reference to lemon curd. There was a note to mix it into a certain buttercream for added flavor. I settled on the Golden Luxury cake (made with white chocolate for extra melt-in-your-mouth taste), lemon curd (double batch made with Meyer Lemons), and the Mousseline Buttercream.

For the buttercream - I stirred in the recommended lemon curd and had about half of the double-batch left over. I really wanted a 4 layer cake - and true "lemon" filling somewhere without being too tart. I split the 2 8" cake layers in half and filled with the lemon curd. I then used the lemon buttercream to frost the outside and middle of the cake. This was a great way to keep the overall taste balanced between rich butter and tart lemon. Very tasty!

The Captain enjoyed the cake. We sent leftovers home with him - and the report came back that it was better the next day.
Thoughts for next time: I think the Golden Luxury Cake would have been more impressive if I had remained "whole" - meaning not cutting the layers in half. It was delicate - but absolutely melting and tasty. Next time - I would let everyone enjoy a real bite of cake before hitting a filling like the lemon curd to overwhelm the taste. Maybe a layer of lemon curd directly underneath the buttercream would do the trick...

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm a sucker for anything with lemon curd. But with just me and hubby, rarely have any occassion to make a cake unless I want to bring it to work for my staff. And then they complain I don't make enough ;) I'll have to try this one soon.

Pearl said...

happy birthday! what a wonderful cake!