Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Review: Secret Ingredients


The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
Here it is - another solo night. Dinner tonight was a slice of quadruple creme chese with crackers and wine. Here, you see the last glass of wine and the start of some FUN reading. If I read anything about intentional torts, I'm going to close the book.
I really don't expect any bad behavior from this particular book. Secret Ingredients is a complilation of New Yorker articles - all relating to food or eating food - spanning from the '30s to today. I've read about eating a 30 course meal in france that REQUIRED purging just to make it through the meal - to eating a true Steak Dinner in New York during the depression.
My favorite detail is that the year is not unveiled until the end of the article. So - you go through the whole article (which are surprisingly long for a magazine article but not bad in hardcover) without a pretense of era. Not knowing the year really lets the reader identify with the story - then to find out the story was published 80 years ago - or 10. I am reminded that people have been eating food from the beginning of time.
So, if you are like me and can't commit to 582 pages of pure food passion - try out the short story compilation built from quality writing throughout the ages.
Being a "foodie" may not be that hip afterall.

No comments: