Monday, August 3, 2009

Law School Prep: Drinking down a Patty Melt


Law School. 1L. I can count the number of days of summer left on my fingers.

The best way to ease the anxiety is to make dinner with my husband, dear H. What better way to deal with stress than to EAT and drink?!?



Tonight was a combination of ease and real cooking. The EASY button involved pulling two frozen hamburger patties from the freezer (previous hand made -even hand ground patties). The cooking part came from the accouterments.

Bacon: baked in the oven at 450. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and lay out the bacon. Bake for about 20 minutes total - flipping the bacon after 10 or 15 minutes. note: due to some variance in size of the bacon slices and the "hot spots" of the oven, some slices of bacon finished earlier than others. They were simply removed when they looked done. Baking is easy and pretty clean - nice when you have other things to worry about while cooking. Turns out crispy and cooked perfectly.
Onions: I love me some caramelized onions. Since I didn't think about this until the beef was already defrosted, I settled for pan fried onions (as slow as I could make it).
3 layers of Cheese: If this patty melt lacks anything - it isn't cheese that would draw the complaint. Each piece of bread is buttered on one side then layered with shredded mozzarella on the other side. The bread is then fried - butter side down, cheese side up - until the cheese is melted. The burger got a slice of provolone melted on a cooked side after it was flipped.
Mustard, Tomatoes, Baby Pea Shoots -
Drinks: Bombay Martini that moved to a Fat Tire, and Poppy Pinot Noir that hasn't seen the bottom of the bottle yet...

and that's all she wrote!

3 comments:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Enjoy your free time while it lasts! There will not be much of it when you are officially a 1L. (I was with my husband through his law school experience - the first year really is the worst.) On the up side - delicious food and drink make everything more bearable!

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like a great way to destress and relax. :)

Lauren said...

I missed that you're going back to school - congrats!! I'm a little jealous.