Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Blahs? Feeling S.A.D.? Plan a Party!

Smile inducing photo

Seasonal Affective Disorder is common in my neck of the woods. But who would call it that? Usually, at the beginning of the winter - I am excited for the increased "carb cravings" and becoming more of a "homebody." I didn't think there was anything SAD about it. Now that it is January - well, I'm looking forward to warmer temps. Looking forward to that Spring Break trip to a warmer climate and putting away the wool socks! My brother told me that he has a happy lamp in Alaska... i'm not sure whether he's telling me a story or if its true.

How do you get through?

I get through by PLANNING A PARTY! yeah. Pizza Party is coming up - check out last years Pie Party bash here. Watch out for photos after our party this year. For the 3rd Annual Pizza party - there will not be an emphasis on Pie as I cannot take time off from school/studying to bake 4 pies. However, the pizza will be plentiful - and more of an Italian theme with peroni beer and a great antipasta plate. Maybe some fun italian cookies for dessert... we'll see!

Symptoms of S.A.D. (from health.google.com)
  •  Afternoon slumps with decreased energy and concetration
  •  Carbohydrate cravings
  • Decreased interest in work or other activities
  • Depression that starts in fall or winter
  • Increased appetite with weight gain
  • Increased sleep and excessive daytime sleepiness
  • Lack of energy
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
  • Social withdrawal
  • Increased desire to be alone (is this the source of the Scandinavian quiet nature??)
Pictures of puppies - make you want to smile a little? Especially when it is MY puppy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your puppy is so cute. That last photo is definitely a day brightener. Puppies and flowers? How can you go wrong?

Now that it's February, it seems like the worst of the MN winter is behind us. But still, these last months often can go the slowest. I love the idea of a pizza party. Everyone loves pizza, AND parties!

kat said...

I think this January was worse than usual too with all those grey days & no sun

Claudia said...

Puppies and flowers - a nice break from winter! I think I have every symptom mentioned.

Marjie said...

LOVE the PUPPY!!!!