Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chocolate-Cherry-Almond Biscotti



Once again, I am looking through the cabinets to see what I can bake tonight. I love bringing biscotti into work as it gives an excuse to eat cookies in the morning. Dried cherries, a small amount of dark chocolate chips, a small amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and almonds. I have to admit that I rummaged through a snack mix to get a few more almonds. It's not something that I would recommend, but in this case the almonds were raw and mixed with dried blueberries - so I think they will do the trick. This is my second Monday in a new job, and the second Monday that I have brought cookies in - I think I might be setting a dangerous protocol that will require cookie baking every Sunday night. Sounds fun!

 Biscotti with cherries, chocolate and almonds
adapted from The New Best Recipe
2 cups (10
 oz) flour
1 tsp baki
ng powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 TBSP butter (softened)
1 cup (7 oz) sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup almonds: toasted, cooled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
egg white for egg wash

preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, then mix in extracts. 
3. Stir in cooled almonds, cherries, and chocolate chips.
4. Fold in flour mixture until just mixed.
5. With floured hands, shape dough into 2 long 'logs' that are 2" wide by 13" long.
6. Smooth sides and brush with egg wash.
7. Bake for 35 minutes, until top begins to brown.
8. Pull logs out of oven. Let cool for 10 minutes. Turn down oven to 325 degrees.
9. Using a serrated life, cut each log into cookies 3/8 inch thick - on the bias.
10. Place cookies back on sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Bake until crisp and golden on each side (about 15 minutes)
Biscotti can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


No comments: